A sampling of articles on premise, story development, and theme
- The Difference Between Idea, Premise, and Plot
- Look! It's An Idea: Going From Premise to Plot
- At the Core: How the Premise Ties the Plot Together
- Start Me Up: Planning and Writing a First Draft
- When You Can't Write What You Love to Read
- Theme Me Up: How to Develop Your Theme
- What Kind of Writer Are You? Career Themes
- (World) Building on a Theme
See all articles on premise and story development
See all articles on theme
A sampling of articles on the writing process
- What Sort of Writer Are You?
- Get Up and Get Out: Finding Your Writing Process
- What the Heck was I Thinking? Reevaluating Your Writing Process
- How Much Do You Understand About Your Writing Process?
- Dancing Out of Tune: Writing Scenes Out of Sequence to Enliven—and Maybe Even Finish—Your Novel
- Do You Really Need to Write an Hour Every Day?
- How Do You Teach Writer's Instinct?
- Put Baby in the Corner: Write Yourself Into a Corner
- Going Both Ways: Outlines for Plot, Pantser for Character
- One Writer’s Process
- Pantser and Proud of it
- How Do You Know if Your Writing is Getting Better?
- Wearing the Pants
- Under Development: Writing That First Novel
- Learning From Other Authors
See all articles on the writing process